Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Review: Introductions by C.L. Stone

Introductions by C.L. Stone
Series: The Ghost Bird #1
Genre: Contemporary
Add on Goodreads


With an agoraphobic mother and a barely-there father, Sang abhors the isolation keeping her in the shadows. The only thing Sang craves is a fresh start and to be accepted as ordinary by her peers, because for her being different meant being cast out alone.

When her family moves to a new school district, Sang infiltrates a group of boys nearly perfect in every way. Grateful for an influence outside of her parents’ negativity, she quickly bonds with the boys, hoping to blend in and learn from them what it means to have a natural relationship with friends.

Only the boys have secrets of their own and they’ll do anything to keep her safe from the knowledge of the mysterious Academy that they've sworn allegiance to. Bit by bit, Sang discovers that her friends are far from the normalcy she expected. Will her loyalty change when she's forced to remain in the dark, or will she accept that she's traded one house of secrets for another?


Another friend. What was I getting myself into? The more people I met, the more disappointed I was going to be when they found out who I really was and rejected me. Weird. No sense of how to behave around people. All I had to rely on was what I'd read in books, and so far it wasn't helping much.

I have no truly good reason for reading this book. Sure, I've experienced reverse harem anime - and my share of otome VN's - but never a reverse harem in this medium. However, it was free and while trying to find something to catch my attention, I came across it.

Did I enjoy it? Yup.

Was it a good book? Nope.

;)

I am, however, quite a bit older than the target audience - I did enjoy it though. You see, after a couple of truly horrible 'love interests' I was looking for a book that would have some romance, but the guy/s would be nice and bear no resemblance to a Neanderthal slug.

Knowing what I do about reverse harem - and how the guys are usually all sweethearts, even if I don't always like them all - I decided that the guys would probably be pleasant to be around, at least.

When you befriended one, you befriended them all.

And they were. All the guys are nice - though sometimes it feels like their personalities aren't quite settled. Almost as though they don't even hit the stereotypes that most of these type of guys have instead of personality. But they were sweet and good looking and that's exactly what I was wanting.

Sang, the 'lucky' MC that has half-a-dozen boys fawning over her, is actually pretty typical for this genre.

"I hope it doesn't mean Mr. McCoy dislikes my skirt because he doesn't look good in skirts."

She's inexperienced with people in general and boys in particular. She has a absolutely horrible home life with an abusive mother. (And I tell you, one of those scenes was especially cringe-worthy.) She's kind of klutzy and air headed - but, I'm telling you - I didn't hate her for it.

Maybe I was just in the right mood for this book, but I wanted to hug her and protect her from that evil mother of hers.

There really isn't much of a plot here, just introducing everyone. Seriously, we spent a whole, rather long, chapter shopping at the mall! For pity's sake, they cook breakfast together. How cute is that!

If I were going to compare this book to food, it would be caramel popcorn: it tastes great in small batches but you'll never get full on it and if you eat too much you'll feel sick.

I wouldn't mind reading more of this series, but with a projected twenty books so far, and not even half that published, I don't think I have the patience.