Friday, October 14, 2016

Pokemon Go Book Tag


So, several of my friends have been doing this tag - which was created by Read At Midnight - and it looked like way too much fun to pass up on. (Though, I admit with some embarrassment, I've yet to play it. It looks like soo much fun though.)
Riddle of the Wayward Books by Brad Strickland & Thomas E. Fuller
It's a mystery tie in to the Wishbone tv series where one of the three main teens (Joe, David and Sam) are reading a classic mystery book and it has similarities to the mystery that crops up in Oakdale.

I already loved books and reading thanks to the show, but this was the first time a book really clicked with me like that.
I don't really do 'iconic classics' well. It seems that, for me, the more loved and critically acclaimed a book is, the less I like it as a general rule. I've even tried some of the well loved classics and I...really didn't enjoy them. At all. But, for me, I'm going to go with a book that was actually the first sci-fi book I was ever introduced to. (And I'll even leave the cover so you know just what kind of sci-fi I started with.)


The Legion of Space by Jack Williamson
I was actually introduced to this book through a Wishbone book (noticing a pattern here?) and it was the only one that I was more interested in the 'classics' section of the story than the other one. I knew I'd have to get ahold of the book and read it eventually and when I finally did, it turned out to be really, really fun. And lately I've been wanting to reread it.
You know, I was running a list of all the super popular books through my mind - and then I read the tag creator's response and I totally agree. Adult coloring books. I am so sick of seeing them everywhere, I've tried to do them but, honestly, I don't see how anyone can - unless their eyesight is 20 x better than mine (which, truthfully, isn't impossible) - because some of the pictures are so tiny I get eyestrain, they are so repetitious they're not fun, and they have totally taken over the already small book department in Wal-Mart.

Poison by Bridget Zinn
This book has so much in common with three-quarters of the other YA fantasy books that have come out in the last 5 - 10 years - that started with Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. But I love this book - even more than all the other ones it's similar to, because it's not trying to be something it's not. It's a nice little tale about friendship and the cutest pig you've ever read about and it doesn't have a love triangle or an asshole love interest.




The Summoner by Gail Z. Martin
So, I was always interested in this book - after all, the series is called Chronicles of the Necromancer so, yes, please - but it wasn't until I read a one star review for it that I decided this book sounded right up my alley. However, as much as I think I'll like it, it's over 600 pages and...it's going to take a lot of guts for me to get started on that. (I can't even think of any books that long that I actually liked.)




Sorry, I need my sleep. No, really, I can't remember the last time I read instead of sleeping when I was supposed to. I wonder if that's a sign of getting old...
Do I have one... I'm not really the sort to ship a lot of people and, it seems like I have more OTP - or OT3+ - from tv or movies than books. Also, lately I've just been really off most of the romance things. Like, blerg. I think though, I'm going to go with Lilac and Tarver from These Broken Stars because lately they've gotten in my head and not gotten out.
I honestly don't think I read 'fast-paced' books usually. Sure, I read books with a lot of action in them - like the one I've currently reading where all the characters are in the midst of a firefight - but I don't read 'thrillers'. So, instead, I'm just going to mention the last book I read in a day - as of making this tag out, of course.


The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
I had just started another book, but this one screamed at me one Saturday morning and I've learnt - usually the hard way - that if I want to read a specific book, that's the only one that'll work. And it did work because I honestly never expected to like the book as much as I did.

And, now that I think about it, it's kind of fast paced, too, in that there is always something happening. And it didn't drag out like I suspected it would.


Never say never. But, really, I can hit the breaks so fast in a series that I used to love if they do something I can't get over. Just look at how many series I started with 4-5 stars and ended with 1-2 stars. But, I think I'm going to say the Earth Girl series by Janet Edwards because, because it's just lovely and wonderful and there needs to be more. More!

Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis
I thought I might like this book - but I wound up loving it. It hit all the right notes for me and I would totally recommend this book to anyone that likes/wants a great, inventive retelling. (And the characters are great!)







The Wrath & the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Everyone has read this book by now and nearly everyone loves it. I still want to, but, man, the hype isn't helping me want to read it. It sounds awesome, and I've bee warned that it's very heavy on the romance, so at least I'll be prepared for that when I decide I want to read it.






Any of the various leather bound copies of Sherlock Holmes. Or, really, pretty much any leather bound book. (I'd love to have some of those.)

Timekeeper by Tara Sim
I usually try to keep my excitement for debuts down to a reasonable level - otherwise, pain and frustration are sure to come - but this book has caught my attention and I'm very interested to start hearing reviews when it gets closer to the November release.






I don't really subscribe to the 'auto-buy' theory. Sure, there's several authors that I like enough that I'll probably read whatever they write, but there is no author that I'd buy without knowing what the book is about. However, Gail Carriger, Michael J. Sullivan, Lindsay Buroker and Rhiannon Thomas are all authors that I love and will immediately add their upcoming books - synopsis unseen - to my TBR list.
The Aztlanian by Brandon Sanderson
So, I read the first book in this series when it first came out back in 2013. (Against my better judgment and all that, because Sanderson had never worked for me before. But that book was great.) Then I found out that the sequel - which it really didn't need except for the painful hook in the last couple of sentences of the first book - wasn't supposed to release for another two years. Unpleasant, but not impossible. Then the release date got pushed back to 2016 and, currently, the information from Sanderson's assistant is that it 'will likely not be out until 2017'. Okay, honestly, by the time it releases, I won't care anymore.


If you're interested, consider yourself tagged!