Monday, November 7, 2016

Ranting Against Romance in Books (Note: Not Ranting Against Romance Books) (Discuss)

I am so sick of romance in books.

Blunt, I know, but I am just so tired of the way every book, even the ones that aren't billed as having romance, have to have it. Like a person's life is incomplete without romance.

What makes it even worse is the fact that - quite often - the romance isn't even good to begin with. I've read books that it's exactly like the romance was added just because someone decided that the book needed it, but it wasn't given any chance to do anything other than just ooze.

But, of course, then there are those books that seem to have a plot getting suddenly taken over by the huge, radioactive romance plot tumor. And I don't think I even need to go into that.

Also, so often the couple is like a carbon copy of what came before. It's like the characters almost always have the same type of interaction. It's difficult for me to describe, but it's like: two people meet and because of the immediate tension and sniping or bickering, you can tell they're going to be the couple. 

(Case in point, Truthwitch. Which is also the book that partially inspired this post.)

I'll admit, I've read romance novels. I've even liked some of them. But, as a whole, I don't want to read romance. And, when I do, I pick up a romance novel. Or read fanfic, but that's another subject entirely. What's good about romance novels though is that they don't always follow the same path. (Mostly always, but if you hunt enough, you can find some unique couples.)

I don't think books automatically should have romance - in fact, when I find a book that isn't middle grade that doesn't have romance in it, it makes me so happy.

There's no other 'non-vital' storytelling element that shows up in nearly every book. I mean, I've heard about books without characters, but I've never read any. So, why does romance have to be in every book?

What do you think about romance in books? Do you like finding books that don't have romance in them, or do you need romance in your books?